Wednesday 13 June 2007

La Paz

So, we lurched into La Paz at 6am and were read the riot act by the driver's assistant. Thieves are operating in this area; only use a radio taxi - the usual stuff. We got a taxi and went to the 5 star Radisson. at 50 quid a night it's a bargain. And they didn't bat an eyelid at two unwashed, scruffy layabouts trolling in at 6:30. Straight into a room. Straight into the bath. Ahhh.

We had a very lazy day. Washing and eating were the sole accomplishments. We ate early enough to have a magnificent view of the city.



La Paz from the restaurant


Day two and we headed down town. The guide book tells us which is the best bookshop in town. If you are looking for books published before I was born, they are correct. I bought a Zane Grey western. 20 years ago a friend of mine liked (or knew - I forget) a band called "The Zane Grey Incident" - that's the sole reason I bought it.

We walked a bit up the hills and down the dales. Had some Coca tea and decided that it was a bit busy and bustle-y for us. Our sole tourist effort was to visit the Coca Museum. Which was very interesting.



La Paz street


Back to the hotel to book our passage onwards. Tomorrow we leave at 7:30 am for Copacbana (Bolivia, not Rio).

Let's hope it's warm.

1 comment:

Ric said...

Hi, lovely photos! I was a founder member of The Zane Grey Incident all those (25+) years ago, so I'd be really interested to know who your friend is (and who you are for that matter, if that's not being too nosey). I think you'll get to see my details when I post this so please do get in touch.