Tuesday 27 March 2007

Flashback

One of the things I meant to mention about Central America was the continual honking of horns. From the moment we arrived in Guatemala until we got to the (as far as honking goes) peace of BsAs, the sound of honking horns was a constant companion.

I personally observed horns being used for the following messages:


  • Excuse me
  • After you
  • Oi
  • No, you can't get in front of me
  • Yes, just squeeze in here
  • Um - I'm overtaking you and will have a head on crash with the bus that has just pulled out of a sidestreet about 100 yards ahead and would really appreciate it if you could slow down a bit - right now - so that there is a gap of more than six inches in front of you that I could get into - please?
  • No
  • OK - go on then
  • You look like a pretty young lady
  • Did you look in you mirror? (this is a rhetorical question of a honk)
  • Did you indicate before turning left from the right lane? (rhet.)
  • I am about to:

    • stop
    • move off
    • pull out
    • do a U turn
    • turn left
    • turn right
    • go straight ahead

  • What did you do that for?
  • Hello
  • Oh, hi there
  • How are you?
  • Fine thanks - and you?
  • Mustn't grumble (Actually - I just made that one up)
  • You look like a tourist - do you need a taxi? (this is also in use here in BsAs)
  • Would you like to get on this bus?
  • I've just overtaken you ha-ha-ha (bus driving is a competitive sport in Guatemala)
  • I'll get you back at the next stop
  • There may even have been "I've safely arrived at my desination" - but I think I would always have been slightly too relieved to care and listen at that point

Indicators are _never_ used. Here in BsAs, hazard warning lights seem to mean pretty much any of the above. At least it's quieter.

No comments: